The victim or deceased name from the article is not mentioned. : Toronto Police Officer Who Ran Over Man in Park Will Not Face Charges

Death – Obituary – Accident and Crime News : Toronto Police Officer Cleared of Criminal Charges in Incident at Earlscourt Park

In a recent development, the Special Investigations Unit (SIU) has announced that a Toronto police officer who ran over a 31-year-old man in Earlscourt Park last summer will not face criminal charges. The incident occurred on August 6 during the Festival Eritrea Toronto, which was marred by clashes between opponents of the Eritrean government and festival attendees.

According to the SIU’s report, the officer was driving a fully-marked Toronto Police Service vehicle when the collision occurred. The man who was hit was asleep on a grassy hill in the northwest corner of the park. The officer immediately stopped the vehicle after feeling the impact. Despite the officer’s quick response, the victim suffered critical injuries and was rushed to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre for treatment.

The SIU launched an investigation into the incident after being notified by the Toronto Police Service. The agency interviewed the victim, known as the Complainant, as well as seven witnesses. However, the officer involved, identified as the Subject Official (SO), declined to be interviewed by the SIU.

In his report, SIU director Joseph Martino stated that the officer’s actions did not warrant criminal charges. Martino acknowledged that the officer should have ensured his path was clear before driving down the hill, but noted that the chances of someone sleeping in that specific location were low. He concluded that the officer was engaged in the lawful discharge of his duties and acted with due care and regard for public safety.

The decision not to press charges was based on the fact that the officer’s conduct did not constitute a marked departure from the level of care expected in the circumstances. Martino explained that criminal charges require more than a simple want of care and must involve a wanton or reckless disregard for the safety of others.

The SIU’s investigation involved the examination of footage from two officers, communication recordings, and a re-creation of the incident using a mannequin. The investigation, which included the expertise of three investigators, two forensic investigators, and one collision reconstructionist, has now been closed.

The announcement has sparked mixed reactions, with some questioning the officer’s level of negligence and others expressing relief that the incident was deemed accidental. The SIU’s decision highlights the challenges faced by law enforcement officers in ensuring public safety while carrying out their duties.

Leave a Comment