Gino Hagenkotter : “Escaped Inmate Found Dead in Philadelphia Warehouse After Two Weeks on the Run”

Death – Obituary – Accident and Crime News : Body Found in Philadelphia Warehouse Identified as Escaped Inmate Gino Hagenkotter

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Philadelphia police have confirmed that a body discovered inside a warehouse in the city has been identified as Gino Hagenkotter, an inmate who had escaped from a work detail at the Philadelphia Industrial Correctional Center nearly two weeks ago. This incident marks the fourth jailbreak in Philadelphia this year, highlighting concerns over security and prisoner management.

According to the Philadelphia Medical Examiner’s Office, the body of the 34-year-old escapee was found on Monday, prompting a thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding his death. Hagenkotter, who was serving time for theft and burglary charges, had been working in the orchard on the prison grounds when he requested permission to use the bathroom. However, he never returned, and subsequent checks by the guard revealed that Hagenkotter had vanished.

Surveillance footage captured Hagenkotter scaling a fence, discarding his jumpsuit, and walking down the street. It is believed that he made his way through a nearby city sanitation department yard, where he managed to gain access to the warehouse. Investigators discovered signs of forced entry, including a broken air vent and a pushed-out fan, suggesting that Hagenkotter had forcibly entered the premises.

The Philadelphia Medical Examiner’s Office was able to positively identify Hagenkotter through fingerprint analysis, and his family was subsequently notified by the U.S. Marshals Service Philadelphia. The cause of his death is currently under investigation.

Officials have revealed that Hagenkotter was scheduled for release from the Riverside Correctional Facility on the day of his escape. However, the transfer was canceled when it was discovered that he had pending charges of retail theft in suburban Bucks County. This information was relayed to Hagenkotter, who was informed that he would need to continue serving his sentence until April. It is believed that this news contributed to his decision to escape.

This incident raises serious concerns about the security measures in place at the Philadelphia Industrial Correctional Center. Earlier this year, two other inmates, including one charged with four counts of murder, managed to escape by slipping through a gap in a chain-link fence. They were missing for almost 19 hours before being recaptured. In September, a woman also briefly escaped from the same facility by scaling two fences topped with razor wire.

Authorities are now faced with the task of addressing these security lapses and implementing stricter measures to prevent future escapes. The investigation into Hagenkotter’s death and the circumstances surrounding his escape will hopefully shed light on where improvements are needed to ensure the safety of both inmates and the community.

Leave a Comment