Gino Hagenkotter : “Escaped Inmate Found Dead in Philadelphia Warehouse, Fourth Jail Breakout This Year”

Death – Obituary – Accident and Crime News : PHILADELPHIA — The body of an escaped inmate, Gino Hagenkotter, was discovered inside a warehouse in Philadelphia on Monday, according to a news release by the Philadelphia Police Department. Hagenkotter, 34, had been missing for almost two weeks after walking away from a work detail at the Philadelphia Industrial Correctional Center. He was serving time for theft and burglary charges.

The Philadelphia Medical Examiner’s Office positively identified the body found in the warehouse as Hagenkotter. The cause of death is currently under investigation.

Hagenkotter’s escape occurred on November 30 when he asked the guard assigned to him for permission to use the bathroom. After failing to return, the guard checked the restroom but found no sign of Hagenkotter. It was later discovered that he had scaled a fence, entered a city sanitation department yard adjacent to the prison, and removed his jumpsuit. Surveillance footage captured him walking down the street.

The circumstances surrounding Hagenkotter’s discovery inside the warehouse raise suspicions of forced entry. Investigators found a broken air vent, a pushed-out fan, and a nearby ladder. Philadelphia police are treating the case as a potential homicide.

Hagenkotter was due to be released from the Riverside Correctional Facility on the day of his escape, but the transfer was canceled after officials learned of his pending retail theft charges in Bucks County. Instead, he was informed that he would continue serving time until April. This information is believed to have influenced Hagenkotter’s decision to escape.

This incident marks the fourth escape from custody in Philadelphia this year. In May, two inmates, including a murder suspect, managed to slip through a cut in a chain-link fence at the Philadelphia Industrial Correctional Center. They remained at large for nearly 19 hours before being recaptured. In September, a woman briefly escaped the same facility by scaling two fences topped with razor wire.

The Philadelphia Police Department and the U.S. Marshals Service Philadelphia are working together to investigate Hagenkotter’s escape and subsequent death. The authorities have notified his family of the tragic news.

Leave a Comment