Jonathan Rodriguez : “Washington State College Student Dies from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Student Housing Unit”

Death – Obituary – Accident and Crime News : Tragedy struck at Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington, as a student housing unit became the scene of a fatal incident. One student lost his life, while two others were rushed to the hospital after exhibiting symptoms consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning. The distressing discovery was made when a residential manager, concerned by the silence behind unit 305’s closed door, promptly contacted campus police at around 8:30 p.m. on Monday. Faced with the urgency of the situation, an officer made the difficult decision to forcibly enter the unit, where he then initiated CPR.

Regrettably, despite the officer’s efforts, 21-year-old Jonathan Rodriguez, one of the students inside the unit, could not be saved. The Thurston County coroner confirmed his untimely demise. The incident is believed to be the result of carbon monoxide poisoning, a silent and potentially lethal threat. Jacob Benjamin, a neighboring student, recounted witnessing paramedics carrying an unconscious individual, whom he later learned was Rodriguez, out of the unit. Benjamin vividly described the distressing sight, recounting the young man’s naked and unresponsive state, with wide-open eyes.

The college community, grappling with the shock and sadness of this tragic incident, has rallied together to offer support to both students and staff affected by the loss. Executive Vice President Dr. Dexter Gordon emphasized the college’s commitment to ensuring the safety of its students and pledged full cooperation with the Washington State Patrol’s ongoing investigation. The focus of the inquiry currently centers around a carbon monoxide alarm that had sounded earlier in the day, prompting a contractor to be dispatched to the unit where Rodriguez ultimately lost his life.

The incident has raised concerns among the college community, with freshman Fritz Irwin expressing worry about the functionality of carbon monoxide alarms in the dorms. However, a college spokesperson reassured that all living units on campus are equipped with both smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. As the investigation continues, the college remains resolute in its determination to uncover the cause of this tragedy and prevent such incidents from recurring in the future.

Leave a Comment