The victims or deceased in the incident are Officer Harry Glenn and Officer Christopher Rycek. : “2 Philadelphia officers shot, one released from hospital after pursuit and shootout”

Death – Obituary – Accident and Crime News : Two Philadelphia police officers were shot during a pursuit and shootout with a suspect, but thankfully one has been released from the hospital. The incident occurred early Sunday morning when officers responded to reports of shots fired by a man driving a Dodge pickup truck near Cottman Avenue and Roosevelt Boulevard.

Upon spotting the pick-up, a responding officer called for backup before pulling over the vehicle at the intersection of Saint Vincent and Roosevelt Boulevard. As the officer approached, the driver, identified as 40-year-old Dioul Devaughn, quickly sped away northbound on Roosevelt Boulevard.

Officer Christopher Rycek and Officer Harry Glenn of the highway patrol unit attempted to stop the truck on Frankford Avenue, pulling in front of it. However, Devaughn rammed into the back of the officers’ patrol car and immediately began shooting at them as they exited the vehicle.

During the intense exchange of gunfire, Officer Glenn was shot once in the ankle and suffered a graze wound to the face. Officer Rycek was also grazed on the bridge of his nose. Undeterred, both officers managed to return fire.

Additional officers, Michael Mitchell and Kenneth Fazio, arrived at the scene and fired at Devaughn from behind the truck. Ultimately, Devaughn was struck by gunfire and transported to the hospital in critical condition.

Fortunately, Officer Rycek, 32, and Officer Glenn, 31, have both been released from the hospital earlier this week. However, Devaughn now faces serious charges, including two counts of attempted murder and four counts of aggravated assault.

As a result of the incident, all four officers involved have been placed on administrative duty pending the outcome of an officer-involved shooting investigation and internal affairs investigation.

This incident highlights yet another act of gun violence in Philadelphia, further emphasizing the ongoing issue of firearm-related crimes in the city. The bravery and quick response of the officers involved undoubtedly saved lives and demonstrates the daily risks law enforcement officers face in protecting their communities.

As the investigation continues, the Philadelphia Police Department and the community at large are reminded of the importance of addressing and preventing gun violence to ensure the safety and well-being of all citizens.

Leave a Comment